Turbo Charged Vital Bars
These nutrient-packed bars are great for a mid-afternoon energy boost, or as a snack before, during or after exercise. They are loaded with vitamins, minerals, anti-inflammatory phytonutrients, high quality protein, and lots of fiber. These bars are a healthy homemade snack for training for races too!
1 cup lightly toasted nuts (I use organic walnuts)
1 cup dried fruit, chopped into small pieces (I use organic dried blueberries)
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
4 heaping tbsp organic dark cocoa or carob powder (I prefer organic cacao powder)
1 scoop why, hemp, rice, or pea protein powder
1 tbsp greens powder blend (algae, seaweed, grass juices, fruits, veggies blend)
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
zest of one orange
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
dribble of organic maple syrup for extra sweetness if desired
hot water if needed
1. Using a food processor, grind the nuts to a coarse powder and put them in a bowl and set aside.
2. Add the dried fruit to the food processor with the cocoa (or carob or cacao powder), protein powder, greens powder, yeast, spices, and zest. Process into a paste, adding hot water a little at a time if the mixture is too thick and dry.
3. Add the nuts and coconut to the mixture. Process until the mixture forms a ball, adding more hot water if necessary.
4. Taste the mixture and if extra sweetness is desired add a small amount of maple syrup or honey.
5. Line the bottom of a 13x9 pan (or smaller if a thicker bar is desired) with parchment paper. Press the mixture evenly into a the pan. Chill for about an hour.
6. Cut the mixture into bars and lift each bar carefully out of the pan.
7. Wrap the bars individually in saran wrap and store in the refrigerator.
Recipe Source: Bauman College