Try this yummy soup to warm you up!
I like making this soup for lunch or dinner with a salad. Enjoy!
CARROT SOUP Servings: 2-3 (makes about 4 cups)
1/2 medium onion
2 cloves garlic
2 TBSP butter
3/4 teaspoons salt
1 pound organic carrots (no tops)
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
3 cups water
1/2 cup pecan halves
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Plain greek yogurt (optional)
1. Dice the onion, and mince the garlic.
2. Melt the butter in a deep pot over medium-low heat. Stir in the onion, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Cover and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until the onion has softened.
3. Meanwhile, scrub the carrots well, trim the ends, and cut into thin rounds.
4. After the onions have cooked, increase the temperature to medium and stir in the carrots, coconut milk, and water. Once the liquid boils, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
5. While the carrots are cooking, toast the pecans in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat for a few minutes, until fragrant and lightly browned. Remove from the pan.
6. Combine the cumin, celery seed, red pepper, and black pepper and add to the skillet. Toast for a few minutes until fragrant. Add to the pot with the carrot mixture and stir.
7. Use an immersion blender to puree the mixture in the pot into a smooth soup. Stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
8. Serve the soup with the toasted pecans and a dollop of plain yogurt (if desired).